A little Irony – Natives say land deal left them out

A little Irony – Natives say land deal left them out

Support our journalism. Become a Patron!
John Ahni Schertow
December 7, 2006
 

The Sixth sentence in the following article made me burst out laughing. I admit, I laugh quite a bit when reading news, but this was a pretty bitter laugh. Let me explain:

The sixth sentence says “If they open the door to this, then we are into a very vast, broad and almost excessively onerous responsibility on both private and public proponents.”

My bitter laugh comes from this —- The Public and Private Sectors of Canada already has that responsibility. I mean, does anyone really believe Canada has historically had this magical free ticket to do whatever it wants, whenever and however?

That’s never been the case, Canada’s always had the reponsibility. Canada’s just disregarded it, assumed it can do whatever it wants.

Hmm? Maybe they do have a magical free ticket.

If so, can I see it? It’d be neat.

Anyways, as far as this case goes, it is nothing new or extrordinary. Canada has a responsibility to consult the Indigenous nations in all matters when the outcome will effect those Indigenous Nations – and the consultation process is not token, to humour the Indians, or anything of the sort. It is a very basic, simple and reasonable legal fact. And regardless of the outcome of this case, Canada will continue to have that responsibility.

Ahniwanika.

Natives say land deal left them out

Dec. 1, 2006. 06:35 AM
by LAURIE MONSEBRAATEN

Little, it seems, stands in the way of southern Ontario’s booming development industry.

But the shards and fragments of centuries-old Indian artifacts, village sites and burial grounds lying just below the earth’s surface could trip up more than a few bulldozers.

An Ontario court is considering whether the province should have consulted more with some native groups in a planned land swap. If the court rules against the province, it could thwart “anybody dealing with land,” said lawyer David Donnelly, who represents the Huron-Wendat First Nation. The band, which occupied most of the area around Toronto about 400 years ago, is now based near Quebec City.

In essence, it could force those involved in major land transactions to engage in protracted consultations with a wide variety of native groups.

“If they open the door to this, then we are into a very vast, broad and almost excessively onerous responsibility on both private and public proponents,” Donnelly said this week.

The case involves a 2002 provincial land swap aimed at stopping subdivisions on the Oak Ridges moraine. The controversial deal, which gave developers provincially owned land in Pickering in exchange for environmentally sensitive property in Richmond Hill, was supposed to be completed in March 2005.

But a provincial development plan for the Pickering lands, known as Seaton, was not approved until last spring and an environmental assessment of the land exchange wasn’t completed until July.

Just as the province was preparing to finalize the transaction, Indian activist David Sanford, along with developers opposed to the deal, appealed the environmental assessment, arguing that native groups outside the Huron-Wendat had not been properly consulted.

Since then, seven other Indian bands have joined forces to halt the transaction and last week spent four days in Divisional Court arguing that the province had both a statutory and a constitutional duty to consult them during the process.

The three-judge panel has reserved its decision until February.

“We think this case shows that government really needs to get its act together when it comes to First Nations consultation,” said lawyer Nicholas Tibollo.

A government spokesman was reluctant to speculate on the outcome of the case.

Southern Ontario was home to Indians for centuries before and during European colonization, and the soil is filled with artifacts, former village sites and burial grounds, said Donnelly. But few efforts have been made until recently to preserve this cultural heritage when it was threatened by development.

Since 2004, when a justice of the peace ruled the province failed to adequately consult Indians on the sale of land to the Roman Catholic Church in Markham, representatives of the three major First Nations groups with roots in southern Ontario have been working on a streamlined consultation process with government.

The Huron-Wendat, Anishinabe and Iroquois have made significant progress in Seaton, Donnelly said. “Historic” agreements to preserve and honour Huron-Wendat village sites in the area could be lost if the courts send everyone back to the drawing board again, he added. And that’s why the Indians’ court challenge, supported by developers who oppose the Seaton land swap, is so frustrating, Donnelly said.

Lawyers representing the seven opposing bands say the streamlined consultation process has no official status among Ontario Indians or government, and it didn’t include them.

Aboriginal law expert Joseph Magnet, acting for six of the bands, said government notices sent to four of his clients were never received and that reported phone calls and meetings to discuss the Seaton land transfer with a government consultant are “pure fiction.”

“The facts are that none of my clients were ever contacted,” he told the court.


Copyright Toronto Star Newspapers Limited

We're fighting for our lives

Indigenous Peoples are putting their bodies on the line and it's our responsibility to make sure you know why. That takes time, expertise and resources - and we're up against a constant tide of misinformation and distorted coverage. By supporting IC you're empowering the kind of journalism we need, at the moment we need it most.

independent uncompromising indigenous
Except where otherwise noted, articles on this website are licensed under a Creative Commons License
IC is a publication of the Center for World Indigenous Studies (cwis.org), a 501C(3) based in the United States